CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A New Chapter

I went to the Social Security office today to start the process of changing my name. While I have dreamed about this since I was a little girl, practicing writing my first name with my crush's last name, I didn't realize that it would affect me as it did today. 

I actually changed my name at work about 6 weeks ago at the start of a new job. I thought it would be a great way to ease into my new name and make it easier on my future business contacts. While I'm sure it prevented a bunch of confusion in the workplace, I was not prepared for the sadness that came over me as I signed that paperwork this afternoon. I almost felt like I was breaking up with my old self. Like I was losing something that I had carried as a part of me for the past (almost) 30 years.

I do realize that in fact I was simply closing a chapter (or really quite a few chapters combined) of my life and reading the first few sentences of the rest of the book! I am so happy and excited to be married to Jay and am very proud to take on his family's name. Most importantly, I can be sure that I am still the same person I was this morning...the "event" has confirmed that my emotions are where they always have been!

3 comments:

Kiera and Joe said...

I felt the same way about having to change my name. I loved my name and it's even harder to change it when you are going to something more difficult! Did you have to wait in line forever?? I have to go there soon too!

Tara and Jeff said...

awe...Poor Amie, don't worry people will always remember you as Amie Crosby..you could always put your maiden name as your middle name on your card?

Anonymous said...

Plus your new last name is totally radical.