CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Weekend Update: Family Visit

Jay's parents came to visit the second weekend we were home & we had a great time! 

This is what a good chunk of the weekend looked like - comfy on the couch watching football - specifically Nebraska beat Missouri:

Saturday night we went to the Roaring Fork for a delicious dinner! It was soooooo good. We started with their famous kettle of green chili pork with hot buttered tortillas...yum! Then for dinner I had the Sugar Cured Duck Breast with onion jam, sour cherry mustard and little cabbages. Jay had the RF Mixed Grill which included baby back ribs, rotisserie chicken, shrimp and sausage.
 Ed had issues with the chair. Memorable moment...
Saturday before heading out to dinner, I started working on Pioneer Woman's Cinnamon Rolls. I had wanted to try the recipe for a long time and decided this weekend was the time to go for it! It wasn't until I started mixing the ingredients that I re-read her blog post & realized that the recipe made 7 pans!!! Yikes! 
 
As you can see they did turn out quite delicious & I had enough to share with my friends at work and even freeze 2 pans for later!
After we stuffed our faces with doughy deliciousness, we headed over to Desert Botanical Garden for a little walk. It was a gorgeous fall day & perfect weather to explore. I had been telling Karen & Ed about the Chihuly exhibit that I sadly missed out on a year or two ago & I was pleasantly surprised to see that they had one installation left. Here you can see the beautiful "Desert Towers" project that the garden is raising money for so it can be a permanent fixture. Can you believe it's glass??
 Awww. Happy to have my husband home!
 I loved this particular cacti. Can't remember its name, but it had the word "button" in it. Super cute polka dots :)
With it being Halloween, there was a big Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) celebration going on. This lovely skeleton drinking a beer greeted us.
 Pretty flowers that remind me of home for some reason:
 Gorgeous sundial that had flowers/plants set just right to tell the time (and it was accurate!):
 Handsome husband among the Saguaro:

 Who says the desert isn't green??



Thanks Karen & Ed for a great visit! We really enjoyed seeing you!!

3 comments:

Tara and Jeff said...

so glad you updated your blog, its the only way I can see you guys...sad :( Never been to the botantical gardens myself, but looks beauitful. Miss you guys so much, if you run out of places to visit the next couple of months , think of us !!

Unknown said...

I'm going to have to try out that recipe - though, maybe I'll half it!

Great pics. Glad you had a good time.

Deb said...

Reminds me of our trip to the garden a few years ago. Thanks for sharing.