CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 7, 2009

From our Kitchen: Hail Kale!!

I have a binder full of recipes that I have collected over the years. It's overflowing with pages from Cooking Light, Real Simple, Rachel Ray, and various other magazines. When I get bored of the normal rotation of favorite recipes, I look through the binder for a couple ideas. 

One of the recent requirements that both Jay and I have decided on is that new recipes can't require lots of ingredients. We're trying to save money here, so it doesn't make sense to go out and buy a special bottle of oil or some fancy ingredient that we probably will only use 1 or 2 times. 

Anyway - this week was obviously one of those weeks where I needed something different. (Jay, on the other hand, can eat the same thing every day and be happy with it. I don't know how he doesn't get bored but I'm not complaining!). Chicken and Dumplings was last night, and tonight's recipe featured sausage, kale and cannellini beans. 

I have never had kale before, but heard that it's pretty darn good for you...so why not give it a shot? After a short 30 minutes of prep and cooking time, here is what I ended up with: 

It was delicious!! And since it came from Cooking Light, it was healthy too :) 

Now, remember I said that we don't like going out and buying fancy ingredients? Well, I did leave out the sun-dried tomatoes. For that reason and for the fact that Jay isn't a big fan of them. After eating up the whole bowl, I don't think I missed them too much! Oh, and I used rotini instead of farfalle as you can tell. Not as pretty as the bows, but tastes just as good. 

Poor Jay is flying tonight so he won't get to try this until tomorrow. When he'll probably eat it for breakfast. Because he does that. Weirdo :)

6 comments:

Kiera and Joe said...

That looks SO good! I am definitely going to have to make that!

Tara and Jeff said...

oh yum, I love kale and sooo good for you too

Amie said...

Um, I like sun dried tomatoes honey. I don't like roasted red peppers. I thought you loved me?:)

Amie said...

What? I thought it was the 2?! Uh oh. I do love you lots. But I'm saving our money. So does that make you happy?

Anonymous said...

They have bumper stickers that say eat more kale! Have you seen them?

Amie said...

I have not seen those bumper stickers but I'm guessing that they are common to see back home in VT with all my treehugger friends?! I think I've become a fan for sure :)