CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, November 27, 2008

From our Kitchen: Sweet as Pie *UPDATED*


Today is a day to be thankful...and to eat lots of pie! Jay and I are heading up to Tara and Jeff's house this afternoon with three deliciously homemade pies to share.

This Thanksgiving, I wanted to try something new, so decided on a Shoo Fly Pie. Shoo Fly Pie is a traditional Pennsylvania Dutch molasses pie and since Jay and I love molasses, we thought, why not give it a shot?! Wikipedia explains that the name is commonly thought to arise from the fact that the molasses in the pie is so attractive to flies that they have to constantly be "shooed" away. Here is a photo of my Shoo Fly Pie:


I found the recipe really simple to make and will let you know how it fares at dinner today. UPDATE: Overall consensus was that the pie was way too sweet. By the end of the day, it had melted into a tar-looking mess. Unless you like to eat molasses out of the jar, I'd say pass on Shoo Fly Pie. Looking forward to better luck in next year's choice.

In addition, we are bringing pumpkin bread, a pumpkin pie and, of course, Jay's Famous Apple Pie (we'll do a From Our Kitchen post on that one at a later date).

We wish you all a very Happy Thanksgiving and hope that you take the time today to realize and be grateful for all the beautiful things life has to offer. Thank YOU for being a part of our lives!

Love, Jay and Amie

3 comments:

Tricia said...

All look very delicious. We're about to head to our neighbors for some Thanksgiving food. I can't wait!

Deb said...

The pies look delicious! Can't wait to hear how they all tasted. Thanks for sharing your blogs with me. Love ya

Tara and Jeff said...

Well I've had my sugar for the year that's for sure ! Thanks for bringing the pies, had a great First Thanksgiving with Alistair