CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 3, 2008

Weekend Update: Colorado

Jay and I went to Denver this weekend to visit his parents and friend Shawn. It was a great time to get out of Phoenix as it has been warmer than normal for this time of year. We were excited to enjoy some cooler weather as well as q.t. with family & friends!

We arrived Friday night and went out to dinner with Shawn, his girlfriend Juvy, and her sister Jenny. The restaurant they took us to is called the Cheeky Monk -a "Belgian Beer Cafe" as they call themselves. It was fantastic to say the least. We shared delicious fried cheese croquettes (balls) to start, then I had a nice thick beef stew while Jay enjoyed mussels. Of course, the beer was amazing. We all sampled a couple different options - my favorite was the St. Bernardus ABT 12. If you are a beer lover, check out their beer menu & give one of these beers a shot. Belgians really know how to brew!

Jay, Amie, Jenny, Shawn, Juvy


Saturday morning, the 4 of us got up early and headed to Castle Rock (about 40 minutes south of Denver) where Jay's parents recently moved. We were welcomed with not only hugs, but also chili, vegetable soup, 2 pies AND homemade chocolate chip cookies - now is that a welcome or what?! We got comfy on the couch and enjoyed several hours of football. Poor Cornhuskers - it was quite a hard game to watch. Hopefully next week will be better! Besides Jay's smelly contribution to the night (ahem), it was a blast...no pun intended.

Sunday we enjoyed one of Jay's famous egg breakfasts and headed out to check out Red Rocks Amphitheatre. What a beautiful venue!!



After Red Rocks, we headed into the mountains to visit Evergreen, Colorado. It was a beautiful drive and to top it all off, we came upon a golf course that had been taken over by some hungry elk!!




After watching the elk for a while, we ate at a delicious pizza spot that Juvy recommended since she used to live in town. It was great and more than anything I was impressed by this:
I have never seen anything like this at any restaurant - a grid breaking down where allergens are used in their menu! This is something that should be at every restaurant!!

3 comments:

Deb said...

Sounds like you both had a wonderful and fun filled weekend with some good eats along the way.

Unknown said...

I believe I have picures, somewhere of my dad and I at Red Rocks.

Matt's in Belgium all the time. I hear him complain about the how the chocolate isn't that great (it is, I'm sure - he's not a sweet person) and how the beer is the only thing he likes about the place (if he's not hiking and/or camping on top of a mtn, he's not really happy anywhere). Anyway, there's a Belgium beer restaurant in town here and now you made me promise myself to get to it ASAP.

I love Colorado! We hope to "retire" there in 10 years. Each time I go, I fall in love w/the State more and more!

Glad you had a great time!

Christi said...

Isn't Colorado great? Not sure if you remember but my family lived there on and off for about 5 years. Anyway ... I hope you had a great birthday! Hope things are well and miss ya. Let me know how work is going!

Christi