CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Weekend Update

We had a busy weekend and unfortunately have no pictures to prove it! Jay has been working super hard these past few weeks, so we decided that Saturday was going to be our day to spend some quality time together before he had to head out of town for his currency training. 

We started the day off with a delicious breakfast followed by our dance lesson. We both agreed that it was nice dancing on the weekend when we were both awake and not coming off a full day's work. Gourmet pizza next door to the dance studio followed. We have been talking about going to the place next door for a while and finally gave it a shot. It was very tasty! After a few errands, we headed home to relax for a bit before heading out to a surprise date that Jay had planned. He told me to get dressed up but not where we were going. I was excited and surprised to end up handing our keys to the valet at Mastro's City Hall Steakhouse in Scottsdale!

We each enjoyed a drink at the bar while waiting for our reservation. I noticed that they had homemade orange-infused vodka on the bar & asked for them to whip something up for me with it. The bartender made me a delicious cosmopolitan - the best part being that it was poured over dry ice so it bubbled & smoked like a witches potion! It was really cool and very cold!

We shared tuna tartar for an appetizer which was really good. I'm not usually a seafood person but I knew that I'd enjoy this dish. I had the bone-in filet (medium rare of course) while Jay had the rack of lamb. Both melted in our mouths! We had their signature warm butter cake with ice cream and homemade whipped cream for dessert which did not disappoint. We highly recommend Mastro's for anyone in the area planning a date night!

I am so grateful to have had Jay to myself for the whole day. The past few weeks have been pretty rough for us trying to find time to spend together. He never fails to amaze me - 16 hour days and still comes home with a smile on his face!

Sunday after dropping my love off at the airport, Kelley and I headed to the FBR Open. For those of you who aren't familiar with it, it attracts the largest crowds on the PGA Tour and is famous for the 16th hole where fans break free from the "golf clap" and cheer/boo/jeer at the players. There are bleachers completely around the hole filled with people doing the wave, etc. It's a great time! Might I add that we enjoyed free valet parking and clubhouse (vip) tickets thanks to my boss! The clubhouse had *real* bathrooms (no porta potties for us!), a huge selection of free food, free drinks, and a great view of the 18th hole. It was a beautiful day so we really enjoyed the time in the sunshine. 
16th Hole - photo courtesy of phoenixopen.com

The Super Bowl was next. Kelley and I headed over to Ryan's house to watch the game. Jeff, Tara, Kathy and Alistair came and brought spinach dip along with delicious pulled pork that they had smoked all night. It was way better than a pizza! Kelley made a 7 layer dip that was a huge hit as well. Though the Cardinals didn't win, it was a great game and such a nice time with friends. We all missed Jay but I at least kept in touch with him via text message throughout the game. He comes home tomorrow night & I can't wait! 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The food sounds delicious! I love the food here, but do miss me some American food!! I will have to try like crazy not to over-indulge when we move back.

Know how you feel about the long work days and trips away. Matt is still working crazy crazy hours and is gone all the time. Urgh. But, on the other hand, I'm living in Europe. So, I shouldn't complain...though, puking kids when dad is away is never good - that was my wk last wk.

The Boring Wife said...

I love City Hall! Angelo surprised me and took me there for my last birthday. I love the pretzel breadsticks and the lobster mashed potatoes. I am glad you were able to spend some quality time together :)