CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, August 22, 2009

From our Kitchen: Blueberry Cobbler

Jay came home from the grocery store the other day with a huge container of fresh blueberries. They were delicious alone, but I knew I had to bake something with them! I mentioned blueberry muffins, but Jay wanted cobbler, so cobbler it was!
You start by sprinkling them with vanilla, lemon juice, a little melted butter, sugar (I used 1/2 what the recipe called for) and flour:
Then in a separate bowl you mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, butter, and milk to make the dough. Just spoon dollops of dough all over the sugared berries, making sure to leave a few little spaces for steam to come out during baking.
Bake for about 30 minutes (the recipe says 20-25, but I found it needed a little longer to get nice & brown) and voila! Juicy, bubbly goodness:
We enjoyed it the first night straight out of the oven and the second night we had it a' la mode. Either way, it hits the spot!
We both really enjoyed this recipe. I look forward to using it as a good ol' standby with other fruits as they come in season. Apple, peach, or perhaps mixed berry...all would work great!

6 comments:

Kiera and Joe said...

That looks AMAZING!!!!! YUM!!

Deb said...

I think we might go pick blueberries tomorrow if it isn't raining. You gave me the inspiration...

Unknown said...

Yum! I'm so jealous blueberries are in season your way! I haven't seen them at the markets here. That looks delicious! I'll have to try it with apples when they come in season or get some peaches if they are at the market this week! Thanks for this post!

Amie said...

Mom & Nat - if you make this recipe, definitely pay attention to the amount of sugar you use on the fruit. With the blueberries, we used half of the sugar that is in the recipe and it was perfect. I can't imagine having used the full amount! Let me know how it turns out if you use the other fruit :)

Unknown said...

Amie, when I try it, I may try it w/raw agave or raw, local honey instead of sugar. Not so sure how it will come out...we'll see...

Anonymous said...

That treat looks yummy! In regards to Sweat Republic yes I did see your post...that's why I went. You post inspired me!!!