CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

From our Kitchen: Going Green(er)

Well, let's just say our kitchen is looking a little GREEN these days. Jay is on a healthy/detox kick and therefore we have cucumbers and kale growing out of our ears. I am throwing a leg (and maybe a big toe) up on the bandwagon and have been increasing my veggie intake, but will not be going all out like Jay due to many reasons - one being that my soy and nut allergy severely limits my protein sources.


Anyway - this week is liquid veggie and vitamin week, so Jay's "meals" consist of blended up veggies. Check out this delicious dinner:
Oh how I wish computers were scratch & sniff! The raw GARLIC is...well...let's just say I think my nose hairs burned off while he was blending this up.


Monday he'll be back to real food - just mainly in raw form. Until then, he's "enjoying" (??) experimenting with different veggie combinations and pushing through. The great thing is that there are a TON of veggies in our house and I have plenty to take to work with me for afternoon snacks!


We've always been great veggie eaters, but so far this has been a great boost for both of us.


Anyone have any good salad recipes??

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahh. You don't do nuts. But my favorite dressing is as follows:

olive oil
balsamic vinegar
maple syrup
salt and pepper to taste

Just add the three liquids together to whatever tastes good to you.

Yeah, soy and almonds are a problem for me too. So, I don't do shakes. I guess I could try hemp and since it's stomach bug/flu season and coconut is anti-viral, coconut milk would work. But, I'm doing the sugar-free challenge over at Nourished Gourmet (see my blog) and I'm not sure I want to venture into shakes this week anyway.

For next week, I suggest running to the library and checking out some of their raw food cookbooks. It's a new wave in the "green" world.

Also, free range, organic chickens are great b/c after you roast it, you can cook up homemade broth. The bones will create a broth with gel-like substance. Anyway, Google it, broth based soup from the appropriate chicken (it has to be truly free-range and not just the kind that say free range but really only have a space for the chickens to go outside if they want to) aids in healing the gut. I'm assuming if he's detoxing, he's trying to get his gut (where the immune system largly resides) cleansed and healed...