CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 29, 2010

Weekend Update: Home Sweet Home

On Thursday night, Jay and I looked at each other in shock once again realizing that we'd be home together for another weekend. I know it's probably sounding old to you by now, but for us it really is nice to be home together! Especially after last year

Friday night after work we headed directly to Chino Bandito to meet up with not only Jeff, Tara & Alistair but also our friends The Jarmans who were in town from the L.A. area. We had yet to meet little Liam, so it was such a treat getting to meet him and to catch up with Angie & Chad. 

Liam & I got along very well!


The must-take photo with Chino's mascot

Saturday morning after relaxing at home, we headed to the local nursery to find ourselves some pepper plants! My dad made us some hot sauce last year and Jay wants to try to make (and grow!) his own! It was a beautiful day to be at the nursery - being there reminded me of family trips to Claussen's in Vermont when I was growing up!

Look at the smile I caught on Jay! He was strategically trying to avoid the camera, so I think this is a pretty good catch!
The flowers were beautiful! I look forward to the day we can have our own gardens. Flowers out front and a big vegetable garden out back! 

We ended up coming home with a habanero plant and a tomato plant. We were told that both would do well in big pots since we don't have a real yard to plant them in. The other pots in the below picture include seeds (that I found in my storage - they're old though, so not sure if they'll "work") for cilantro, green onion and rosemary. 


Look at Jay tending to his habanero. The guy at the nursery gave him some tips as to how to make them extra hot, so we'll see how that works out!


Remember this post from a few weeks ago when we got cheese curd at the farmer's market? Well lookee what we made here for dinner on Saturday night! I call it Arizona Poutine since we used jalapeno cheese curd. I think it turned out pretty good - not a huge fan of the gravy as I've been spoiled with the homemade stuff my whole life, but overall, I say it was pretty successful! You definitely can't buy this in Phoenix!


And from the farmer's market this week, here's our bounty:

I have decided to do a few "From our Kitchen" posts related to what we get at the farmer's market throughout the week. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with all the yummy things we make!

Until then though - you know it's fresh and local when you get oranges that look like this! It's pretty enough to be in a Sunkist commercial or something!


Can you believe we went to church, enjoyed the annual Knights of Columbus Palm Sunday Pancake Breakfast afterwards (we love it), AND hit the farmer's market all by 11:00am? It was so nice to be up & out and have a full day ahead of us afterwards! We ended up enjoying some sun at the pool for a bit and then got in a workout at the gym as well. We actually worked out both Saturday and Sunday evenings. And tonight too. It feels good to get in some exercise! It also makes me feel less guilt when eating things like this delicious homemade pesto & chicken pasta (made with our very own basil!) that Jay whipped up for dinner last night:


We did a bunch of other cooking this weekend as well so I'll get some fun posts together for those soon! 

Have a great week!
xoxox

3 comments:

Deb said...

It's only 8 AM and I am hungry after reading your post. The fruit and veggies look so good. Can't wait for our Farmer's Marker to get going in another 2 months!

Tara and Jeff said...

I need to hit up more farmer's markets this spring. I saw an article on the best ones in the valley, I will bring it with me next time we meet:)

Tricia said...

It makes me hungry too and that orange looks extra delicious!