CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 1, 2010

Weekend Update: While the Husband's Away...(part 1)

...the Girls will Play!

Jay was in Orlando for most of last week to work/attend the Women in Aviation Conference. I had planned on going with him to get some FL sunshine (which turns out there wasn't much anyway) but due to my last minute travels home the week before, I decided to hold down the fort at home. So without further ado....

I was so excited to host Girls Night on Friday night! I ran home after work and made this cake that I've been dying to make! Since Jay isn't much of a cake person, what better time to make it than when he's gone? Believe it or not, it's all baked & ready to go in this picture. All that yumminess that's dripping off the edges? That's the AMAZING frosting.
The theme was "Craft Night", so we all sat at the table and made a project that we all agreed on beforehand. Krista, Kiera, and Kathy were in attendance...(pretend Tara is in that 4th chair - Alistair was sick, so she had to stay home = sadness)
The project of the evening was....drumroll....coasters! We made them out of travertine tiles (I picked that kind not because they are fancy schmancy, but because they were the only unglazed ones I could find!). We stamped & sealed them and then stuck felt on the bottom to protect furniture. What a fun project! Here are mine:
Krista's:
Kiera's:
...and Kathy left before the photo shoot, but hers were just as awesome of course!

After dinner, I made this delicious drink - Dulce de Leche Coffee - again courtesy (photo too) of Pioneer Woman:

I don't have pretty clear glasses like that, but I will say that it was very tasty & indulgent. I think the homemade whipped cream (that I almost didn't make) was key....in case you decide to try it yourself.

I hope this is the first of many craft nights at my place! I have a ton of projects all saved up & ready to go!

xoxo

3 comments:

The Boring Wife said...

Thank you so much for hosting us! We had a great time and those coffee drinks are amazing. I cannot stop thinking about them :)

Kiera and Joe said...

I had so much fun! I still can't believe we stayed up till after 1am!! And we weren't even out at a bar! Ha! I love our girls nights!

Tara and Jeff said...

Jealous that I missed another girls night out...Boy I am wayyy over due for one now. Looks like the projects turned out fantastic though. I made that chocolate cake too , but I used the pecans in the frosting...OMG wonderful