CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Weekend Update: A Quick Trip Home

I had to make an unexpected trip home last weekend for Merwin's funeral. I am still having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that he's gone, but I know in my heart that he's always with us and that he's probably much happier (and more comfortable) now. He will be greatly missed. It was a beautiful service and absolutely wonderful spending time with the whole family - talking about all the great memories we were able to build together over the years!

In an effort to keep this post (and myself) as positive as possible, I am going to recap the more fun parts of the trip.

I flew into Manchester on Thursday and drove directly to Essex to visit with Emily & Sophia. I hadn't seen Soph since she was a few months old, so it was great playing with her as she's about to turn 2! She is such a little diva! She took pictures of us with her camera (Em's old one that still works - she LOVED this!):
And then she put on her tutu and we danced all over the living room! She sang to all the songs - it was the cutest thing ever!
Afterwards, we tried to wind down a bit - here is my new friend on my lap with her iTouch watching Curious George (I'm amazed at how easily she uses it! She's TWO!):
Friday morning, I woke up to the sounds of a 3 year old! Stacy brought one of "her boys" Rocco over to visit with us. It is not unusual for me to talk with Rocco on the phone when Stacy's working. He is just so cute - I just love his curls! (hey there - stop looking at my creepy smile/eyes - look back at that cute kid next to me!)Anyway - he wanted to take our picture & I think he did a pretty good job, don't you? The fingers kinda make a nice little frame....
We went out to lunch with Donna & Arika at our favorite local joint - Al's. Tricia & I settled for macaroni & cheese and grilled cheese sandwiches (and of course their famous fries!) since we were being good about not having meat on Friday - yes, Lent has begun! It was hard not to indulge in a burger or hot dog, but Lent is not about indulgence, so we behaved.

Saturday before the service, we got together with my dad & Patti for breakfast at Libby's Diner - another local place that I try my best to hit when I go home. You just gotta love this sign that was posted on their door:
I had a WONDERFUL nap after returning home from the service & reception and then we all realized we hadn't gotten a good picture of all of us girls together. So we all put our tops back on (pjs still on the bottom) and got a few:
Sunday morning, I got up early so I could visit with Julie, Michael and Finley over in New York. The lake is still frozen and the ice fisherman had already settled in as I crossed into South Hero.
I walked onto the ferry and Julie picked me up on the other side. It was so nice to see her! And once again, I hadn't seen Finley since he was about a month old, so check out this "grown up" 6-month old I was greeted with!!
Look at that face & those eyes!! He really is one of the cutest, happiest babies I've met!
I got a nice big hug from my Jules before heading back to Vermont.
Monday I headed back to Manchester and then endured a 6-hour direct flight back to Phoenix. It was a short trip, but I am happy to have packed in as many good things as I could to balance out the sadness. I will never ever forget Merwin or the happiness he has brought to not only myself but everyone that had the opportunity to know him.

And to all 10 of you that read this blog - I love you and don't you forget it!

xoxo

3 comments:

Deb said...

Great Post Amers - Like you said, nice family and friends to wrap you up in their arms during a really tough time. Love you.

Tricia said...

Love you too Amers!

Tara and Jeff said...

Love you too girl !