CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Weekend Update: Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

I've decided to split this Weekend Update into a few sections since I don't feel like sitting down for the whole evening to write my normal long post! Plus, breaking it up will be fun, don'tcha think?

Friday night was part two of my wonderful Christmas present. Jay took me to ASU's Gammage theatre to see Broadway Across America's Mary Poppins. We got there way too early (we thought the show started at 7, but it was actually 7:30), so we embarrassed entertained ourselves a bit:

I don't know about you, but I think Jay pulls off a male version of Mary quite well. Practically perfect in every way...

The show as a whole was entertaining, but we both were a little disappointed in how much they changed the story (especially compared to Annie which, though it strayed a little, had most of the original story in place). There were also 7 brand new songs which for lack of a better way of saying it...was just weird. I don't know why they spent the time & effort creating new songs when the original version had so many great ones (and is probably one of the reasons most people wanted to see the performance?!).

The effects in Act 2 and a quite enjoyable tap sequence to "Step in Time" did make up for most of the disappointment in the other stuff.

I'm obviously not a professional theatre reviewer, so if you're interested in going, here's a review by the New York Times that I think sums it up nicely.

Let's just be honest though - it could have been a horrible show put on by amateurs and I still would have enjoyed every bit of my date night with Jay. (Disclaimer: I'm currently questioning myself in this statement as he has the movie "Cool as Ice" playing on the tv right now - not enjoyable. at. all.).

xoxo

1 comments:

Tricia said...

love the pics of you and Jay. Too cute!