CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, December 28, 2008

Weekend Update: Holy Cow!!

Jay and I went to the gym late Saturday morning only to return to our neighborhood to see 6 or more police cars parked along the road. I also saw a guy standing on the bridge above the wash with a lasso...yes, a lasso. My first reaction: I have to get home to get my camera!! (and I really should have thrown on my new cowgirl boots as well for effect, but that was an afterthought).

I quickly returned to find out that there was a bull in our neighbor's backyard. It had first been seen literally across town (on the west side of Phoenix - we live on the east side) and was running along major streets as the cops tried to corner it. It eventually made its way into our neighborhood and in our neighbor's backyard through a gate that was left open. We got a good view of the bull from the golf course we live in the middle of. Most of these pictures are from standing at the tee box of hole 12 on Arizona Grand Golf Course. There are 2 guys I'll call "wranglers" that were trying to lasso the bull with no luck. It kept charging them as it was very scared and quite pissed off that they were ruining it's day of freedom. 
The bull is right in the middle of this picture. A wrangler is sitting on the wall to the right of it.
Bull staring me down :)
As you can see, the whole back of their house is windows, so they were nervous about it charging through the glass into this poor guy's house. 
Wrangler man with a red towel - just like they do in Spain!! I thought that was pretty funny. 

They had a horse trailer backed up to the gate in hopes of it running back out of where it entered.  

I talked with a cop on the scene who said they were hoping to get some gates to lead the cow out of the backyard safely. Apparently nobody had reported a missing cow so the owner who might have been the best help was unknown. They were also having a hard time getting in touch with veterinarians that could help tranquilize him until they got him to safety. I volunteered to call the Channel 3 "Tip Line" hoping that they could broadcast the story in order to maybe find the owner (or a vet) but never saw anything air on tv or online. I can't believe that a 3+ hour cow chase in Phoenix didn't make the news, but the new Light Rail opened that day and snagged the headlines I guess :)

Other than that we had a relatively quiet weekend...spending today at the bar watching football with the Ameriflight boys, Erin and Kelley. No work for me until Friday, so lots of shopping and sewing ahead!! 

3 comments:

kelley said...

it's good thing you have so much rodeo experience now..

thanks for a fun sunday afternoon, i made it home in plenty of time to iron. love, kelley.

Tara and Jeff said...

wow, see what buying boots will do !

Deb said...

Fun stuff for sure! Very quiet here in Vermont.