CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

From our Kitchen: A Christmas Tradition (does that rhyme?)

One of my favorite Christmas traditions growing up was cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning. I'm not completely sure of the origin of the tradition, but I do know that those lovely Pillsbury Sweet Rolls my mom baked up were quick & easy on mornings when the usual focus of food switched over to what Santa brought.

The past few years, I've been able to hold onto this tradition in my new family. This year however, Jay wanted to make them from scratch! I pointed out to him that the whole point of the cinnamon rolls was (besides their yumminess) how easy they were to make, but he wouldn't have any of it. We made Martha Stewart's Truck Stop Cinnamon Rolls several years ago & he pulled out the recipe.

In order to expedite the process in the morning, I spent some time on Christmas Eve measuring out everything we'd need. I wish I took a picture because I just know you'd roll your eyes. Everything was measured & labeled & ready to go. I was very careful to have it all measured just right because we cut the recipe in half (which worked fine, but next year I think we'll make the whole batch & give some away).

Jay had been up for about an hour or so by the time I dragged my butt downstairs. He had already mixed up the dough and it was rising nicely.
Once it was ready to roll, we rolled it out nice and thin & sprinkled on the melted butter, cinnamon & sugar. If you make this recipe yourself, it will seem like a TON of sugar & cinnamon (and it is), but use it all. Trust me on this.
After it's all sprinkled, roll it up nice & tight and then slice it up. We cut it into 8 equal portions.
Don't they already look delicious?? Just you wait - it gets better!
Then you put the pretty little rolls facing up on a buttered cookie sheet, cover & let rise for a little longer.
Put them in the oven & smell your house fill with the most beautiful, mouth-watering scent imaginable. They look like this when they're done (ok, maybe next time we'd cut a couple minutes off the cooking time).
Now, whatever anyone tells you, DO NOT stop there! Even if the recipe says they're ready to go (ahem, Martha) and even if someone (ahem, Jay) says they look good as they are.

Make the glaze.

Just make it. I know, it is a lot of sugar, but it is just not a cinnamon roll without it. I didn't use a particular recipe but you can if you like. Or just eyeball it: mix up some confectioners sugar, a little milk and vanilla until its the right consistency. Then you just pour. it. all. over.

Let it soak into all the nooks & crannies until they look like this.
Now they are ready to eat. And it may be lunchtime by then, but that's ok too.

1 comments:

Kiera and Joe said...

I am so jealous that yours turned out so nice! I also made rolls for Christmas morning but I killed my yeast and they were not as nice and fluffy. Oh well...now I know the next batch will be perfect like yours!!