CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, April 23, 2010

Weekend Update: The San Francisco Treat! (Part Two)

After our afternoon nap, we headed back out for more fun! We took the 30 Bus to the Cow Hollow district to find some bars that Jay had read about online. This one - La Barca - was known for its famous margaritas.
They had two different types available - a traditional version and another version that is made more like a martini. I opted for the former, Jay for the latter. I think I'm now a true margarita lover because I liked both! Jay's was definitely stronger, but just as delicious!

Next we walked to City Tavern because we heard it was the place to be - that is for the under-30 crowd! We figured we'd still give it a shot & it ended up being a great atmosphere with cheap beer for happy hour! 

After City Tavern, we decided to walk around and check out the neighborhood. We walked by some very cute shops & boutiques before stumbling upon Jovino - a quaint wine cafe. We took a seat at the bar & ordered our drinks. I saw that they had a "famous sangria" so asked the bartender about it. He warned that it might be too sweet so gave me a sample. Wow. It was like melted sherbet. Not really what I was looking for, so Jay picked out a nice red wine for me and he had a beer. We chatted with the bartender and then decided we better head back towards the North Beach (San Francisco's "Little Italy") district for our dinner reservation. 

Here we are on the 30 Bus again. It was THE bus for us - if we weren't walking, we were on a cheap $2 ride on the 30! 
Our reservations were at The Stinking Rose restaurant. This restaurant is famous for it's abundant use of garlic. They use over 3,000 pounds per month!
I loved the area they sat us in. We had our own little private booth along this corridor:
For our appetizer we had "Garlic Soaking in a Hot Tub" which is garlic cloves, roasted in olive oil & butter with a hint of anchovy (you couldn't taste the anchovy - I swear!). It is served in a hot skillet with fresh focaccia bread to spread it on. 
For my main course, I had Garlic Roasted Prime Rib...
...and Jay had the Silence of the Lamb Shank:
Both were delicious!

For dessert we of course had to order the garlic ice cream. It's strangely good and comes with a caramel mole sauce that we got on the side.
It was the perfect way to end such a wonderful day!

Day 2 coming up soon!
xoxo

2 comments:

Kiera and Joe said...

All I can say is that I'm glad I didn't have to smell your breath after eating that dinner!! WOW! Holy Garlic!! The restaurant looked very cool though! What a fun trip :)

Tara and Jeff said...

Explains a little why you got soo sick my dear !