CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Clouds are Calling...

It may come as no surprise to you readers, but I cried today. This time it was due to realizing that I have lost a lot of my flying knowledge over the past few years. Its not that I have forgotten how to fly - I feel that I probably could do a decent job getting back in the left seat, but its that I can't read charts properly anymore. I forget many of the FARs (Federal Aviation Regulations). I struggle to remember the details of all of the mechanics of flight and airplanes. 

It's really sad. Flying is what brought my husband and I together, and though I know I made the right decision in not continuing to pursue it as a career, it makes me sad that it has escaped my daily life. I look back to 2002 when I would wake up most days at 5am to fly before it got over 110. I think about going to Jay's place after school to study and ask him endless questions about airspace, FARs (he was and is still quite versed in them), and technique. And I think about the sights, smells, sounds, and overall feeling I embraced with love (yes, love) every day at the airport. I miss that. 

While talking on the phone tonight Jay heard the sadness in my voice and offered to sit down with me this weekend to go over the charts a bit together just for old times sake. It makes me happy that flying is something that we can share and that I know will always be a part of our lives together. I just hope that I get back up to visit those clouds again soon...they are certainly calling my name...

0 comments: