CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

From our Kitchen: Curds & Whey

UPDATED per Jay's comments:
Jay and I watched an episode of Good Eats last week featuring milk recipes. Jay was inspired by Alton Brown's creation of curds and whey (just like the nursery rhyme!), so much that he decided to try it out.

All you need is a gallon of milk, 3/4 cup of white vinegar and 1/4 cup of half and half.

He started by heating up the milk to 120 degrees:
Once it hit the right temperature, turn off the heat & add vinegar. Not even 20 seconds later, the curds and whey started separating from each other.
You are supposed to let it sit for about 30 minutes to finish the process. Afterwards, Jay drained the liquid into cheesecloth and was left with the chunky curd.
The next step was to rinse it:
And then crumble it into a bowl, mix with half and half and a sprinkle of salt:

To answer the questions I'm sure you have:
*Yes, Jay liked it. He said it tasted like a better version of cottage cheese.
*No, I did not try it. I do not like cottage cheese and the smell of vinegar during this process further deterred me from a tasting.
*Yes, I followed my husband around the kitchen taking pictures of him making this.
*A tuffet is "a low stool; footstool" according to Dictionary.com

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Wait. You drained the whey through the cheese cloth. Did you do anything with the whey?

Sounds kinda yummy. But, how much fat is in it? (I've lost ten pounds and don't want to ruin the roll I'm on).

Amie said...

Natalie, this is Jay. After the skim milk hits 120 degrees, you turn off the heat and then add the vinegar. The two proteins in milk are whey and casein. They are both in the curds and whey. The whey was not drained out, as Amie mistakenly noted. The liquid is void of milk solids, but is full of vinegar, so you can't use it. There is no fat at all. You use skim milk, and all you have left is the protein. Oh, and you add 1/4 cup of half and half at the end, not a splash. And if anyone tries this, it doesn't refrigerate very well. It dries out and gets hard. But when it is fresh, it taste great.

Tricia said...

Jay, I like how Amie followed you around the kitchen taking your pictures. She's really serious with this blogging.

Kiera and Joe said...

Sorry to say but that just looks gross! The sound of milk and vinegar makes my stomach hurt. I'm glad Jay enjoyed it though :) I am excited to see what comes out of your kitchen next!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jay that's one step towards making cheese. If you look at how you make cheese you've done most of the work. You just need to press it and age it. I make a ramano cheese with my whey before I toss it.

The Skaff Family said...

I'm with Kiera, that looks so gross! I'm glad Jay enjoyed it but to be honest the thought of it makes me quesy:( But just glad it was your kitchen and not mine:)

PS Eric wants Jay's number, email it to me if you can:)

Tiffany Carolanne said...

Thanks for writing this post, I remember the nursery rhyme from my child hood and always wondered what curds & whey looked/ tasted like :-)

Amie said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the post Tiffany! Isn't it funny how something like a nursery rhyme can spur the creative process later in life?! Love it!