CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, September 18, 2008

From our Kitchen: Hummus

Jay purchased some tahini at Sunflower Market this week so we could make our own hummus. Thanks to our new mini Cuisinart, we are able to make it easily and quickly! Here is how we (ok, Jay) threw a batch together to enjoy with our dinner. 

Ingredients:
1 can of chickpeas, saving 1/4c of the liquid
1 1/2T tahini
Juice of 1 lemon
garlic to taste
pepper to taste
1-2T olive oil

Blend together first 5 ingredients, then slowly drizzle in olive oil until smooth and at desired consistency. 

I myself prefer flavored hummus, so for my batch (1/2 of the above base mix), we added about 1/4t cumin and a handful of cilantro. 


Check out the final result (mine is the green stuff on the right). It was delicious!!!

3 comments:

Kiera and Joe said...

I am totally impressed!! The cilantro one looks amazing! That is my favorite kind at Pita Jungle :)

Tara and Jeff said...

Oh yum, I know Jeff will love to see this reciepe , our favorite at Jungle Pita is the red bell pepper hummus, we've tried mastering it, but it doesn't taste the same

Unknown said...

I LOVE CILANTRO! I make hummus - but, have never done it w/tahini. I'll have to do that.

I usually just throw in chick peas, cilantro, olive oil, salt, pepper, lime or lemon (whatever we have), cumin, lots of garlic and sun dried tomatoes.